Tag: 419夜上海

Limerick meeting to force action on housing crisis

first_imgNewsLocal NewsLimerick meeting to force action on housing crisisBy Alan Jacques – October 29, 2015 1168 Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Linkedin Twitter Email WhatsApp Facebook Advertisementcenter_img Previous articleSpooktacular CompetitionNext articleOpinions divided over abortion pill bus Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up RENTS in Limerick are going through the roof. The housing waiting list is getting longer. And less social houses are being built, it has been claimed.A meeting will take place in Pery’s Hotel this Thursday, October 29, at 8pm to address the housing crisis and these specific issues.A teenage boy whose family was recently homeless while he was doing his Leaving Cert will speak openly about his own experiences. Jackie Bonfield of Mid West Simon Community and the Anti Austerity Alliance’s general election candidate for Limerick City, Cllr Cian Prendiville, will also speak at this free event.Cllr Prendiville feels those suffering the most from the housing crisis are being ignored. However, he believes, the water charges movement is proof that by standing together, the Government can be forced to take notice.“Rents in Limerick are going through the roof, as the housing waiting list gets longer and longer. Despite a lot of hot air, the Government still refuses to take real action on housing. They have built less social houses than any government for 45 years,” said Cllr Prendiville.“The Government has allowed the market to hold back the supply of homes and push up the prices. While over 5,000 families are on the housing list in Limerick, so far this year only 10 social houses have been built,” he added.This, the City North representative maintains, has given landlords a golden opportunity to drive up rents, while the Government refuse to implement rent controls.“With one quarter of the TDs in the Dail landlords themselves, is it any wonder?” he asked.According to Cllr Prendiville, Thursday night’s meeting is hoped to be the launch of a campaign to demand immediate action on the housing and rent crisis.“The AAA have helped coordinate protests and occupations of vacant and NAMA properties, to demand real action. We want to build a similar campaign here in Limerick to demand rent controls, and the right to a home for all,” he concluded. Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival TAGSAnti Austerity AllianceCllr Cian PrendivilleHousinglimerickMid West Simon CommunityNAMAPery’s Hotel RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORlast_img read more

Read More

Young man who accused Kevin Spacey of sexual assault drops civil lawsuit

first_imgiStock(NEW YORK) — The young man who has accused Kevin Spacey of sexually assaulting him three years ago has withdrawn a civil lawsuit against the actor.The lawsuit, filed last week, stemmed from allegations that Spacey, whose birth name is Kevin Fowler, sexually assaulted the young man in a Nantucket bar in the summer of 2016.The accuser’s attorney, Mitchell Garabedien, cited the criminal case against Spacey in declining to comment on the civil suit.The defense and the accuser, whom ABC News has not named because he says he was sexually assaulted, have been fighting over evidence, including the cell phone the accuser used the night of the alleged assault.Defense attorneys questioned why the accuser erased certain text messages from the phone before turning it over to police. The defense hired a forensic expert to restore the texts, which Spacey believes are exculpatory.Before dismissing the civil lawsuit, the accuser said Spacey caused him extreme emotional distress such that he was unable to fully recall the details of the summertime encounter with the “House of Cards” star.Last week, legal experts told ABC News that it’s not unprecedented to file a civil lawsuit in the middle of an ongoing criminal case.“It muddies the waters of the criminal case,” said prominent Florida defense attorney Mark O’Mara, who successfully defended George Zimmerman against charges including second-degree murder and manslaughter in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin in 2012.“If [the alleged victim] has a civil case pending, then that’s going to come up on cross-examination when he testifies at trial,” O’Mara said.“The reason you’d love my [client] to get convicted is because you’re suing him for a ka-billion dollars, isn’t that right? Isn’t that why we’re really here?” the Florida lawyer noted, channeling a defense attorney’s cross-examination of such a witness.Other defense attorneys who have represented high-profile clients and spoke with ABC News about the Spacey case said the civil lawsuit could be seen as another blow to the prosecution’s case.“It generally is not good for the prosecution because it shows a financial motive, and financial bias is something defense lawyers are going to use in their cross-examination,” said Tom Mesereau, a high-profile Los Angeles attorney who has represented celebrities including Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby and Robert Blake in criminal cases. “They will try to show the witness is biased because they have a stake in the outcome of the criminal case.”Spacey has pleaded not guilty to the criminal charge, the first the actor has faced despite years of accusations.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More

Carlo Cudicini hopeful Spurs star will snub summer move

first_imgCarlo Cudicini has hailed Hugo Lloris as Tottenham’s key man and is hopeful the goalkeeper will remain at White Hart Lane beyond this summer.The Frenchman is reportedly being lined up for a big-money move to Paris Saint-Germain, but Cudicini says his old club should do all they can to convince him to stay in north London.In an exclusive interview with the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former Spurs shot-stopper said: “Hugo Lloris has had a fantastic first six months of the season. He is probably the reason why Tottenham are still there fighting to reach the Champions League.“He is such an important player for Tottenham. I was surprised at the beginning of the season when they brought in Michel Vorm because it looked like they were preparing for next season in case Lloris decided to go. But he signed a new contract and hopefully he will stay with the club because he is a very important player.”last_img read more

Read More