Tag: 上海200的快餐

Biden on Trump, Covid-19: ‘More People May Die Because of Transition Delay’

first_imgHours before Mr. Biden’s remarks, Mr. Trump’s national security adviser, Robert C. O’Brien, went further than any other senior Trump official in a public forum when he said that Mr. Biden appeared to have won the election and pledged a smooth transition from his staff.“Look, if the Biden-Harris ticket is determined to be the winner — and obviously things look that way now — we’ll have a very professional transition from the National Security Council,” Mr. O’Brien said.Perhaps wary of the ire of a president who refuses to concede the obvious, however, even Mr. O’Brien spoke conditionally, falsely suggesting that the election’s outcome remains uncertain.- Advertisement – “If there is a new administration, they deserve some time to come in and implement their policies,” Mr. O’Brien said during a talk recorded last week and streamed on Monday as part of a conference hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies.“And if we are in a situation where we are not going into a Trump second term, which I think people where I’m sitting in the White House would like to see, if it’s another outcome, it will be a professional transition — there’s no question about it,” he added.Jim Tankersley and Alan Rappeport contributed reporting.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img Mr. Biden’s comments came as governors across the country have begun issuing tough new restrictions on businesses, schools, bars and sports venues in an effort to slow the spread of the virus, prompting an increasingly aggressive backlash from Republicans, including some of Mr. Trump’s advisers.In Michigan, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s decision to shut down casinos, movie theaters and indoor dining — and to halt in-person learning at high schools and colleges — for three weeks prompted Republican lawmakers to call for her impeachment. She said the remarks by Dr. Atlas were “irresponsible” and left her breathless.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Read More

Supari denies H5N1 caused girl’s death

first_imgNov 13, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Indonesian Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari today denied reports that a 15-year-old girl who recently died had H5N1 avian influenza.News services—citing one of the girl’s doctors and a local health official—reported yesterday that tests from two laboratories showed that the girl from central Java, who died Nov 7, had the virus. If the reports are correct and the World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes her infection, her illness will be listed as Indonesia’s 138th H5N1 case and 113th death.However, Supari said today that two laboratory tests came back negative, according to reports from Agence France-Presse and Xinhua, China’s state news agency. “Both of the laboratory tests showed that she was negative of bird flu, so the total death toll (of bird flu) remains 112,” she told Xinhua.The girl reportedly lived near a poultry slaughterhouse.News about human H5N1 infections in Indonesia since June has been difficult to evaluate, because the health ministry said then it would no longer promptly report H5N1 cases, instead giving only periodic updates. Some health officials have said the lack of prompt reporting will hamper efforts to monitor the world’s pandemic risk level.In other developments, 17 people from Sudiang subdistrict in Indonesia’s South Sulawesi province have been hospitalized in Makassar for symptoms that resemble avian influenza, the Jakarta Post reported today. Thirteen of the patients are children.Andi Kurina Bintang told the Post that the patients had high fever, coughing, and breathing difficulty. “Rapid tests showed they may be infected with H5N1 avian influenza virus, but we are waiting for blood test results to come back from the Hasanuddin University lab,” she said.She said 31 chickens had died in the subdistrict the week before three toddlers became ill, according to the Post report.Sulistiawati, a livestock official in Makassar, told the Post that rapid tests on several of the chickens were positive for the virus.See also:Nov 12 CIDRAP News story “Indonesian sources say teen died of H5N1 infection”last_img read more

Read More

‘It has even changed death’: Virus disrupts burials in Turkey

first_imgIn normal times, almost 200 people would have attended the funeral for Ahmet Ucukcu’s 95-year-old father at an Istanbul cemetery. The coronavirus which took his life has changed all that.”Many of my relatives wouldn’t come except for close family members and his sons who were authorized to attend only,” Ucukcu told AFP.  Topics : “We are just six or seven people.”The scaled-down ceremony took place at a cemetery in the city’s Beykoz district on the Asian side, which was built in March when Turkey confirmed its first virus case.It already houses the remains of over 700 people who died of contagious diseases including COVID-19.Ucukcu lost his father Ali to the virus after the old man was treated for 10 days. He also suffered from chronic illnesses. ‘Speedy burial’Ayhan Koc, head of  Istanbul’s cemeteries department, said a fast burial without traditional Islamic rituals was an efficient and correct method given the current situation.He said in the past there would have been a funeral prayer after the midday and afternoon prayers but now the aim was to ensure a speedy burial, without even taking the body to the mosque.The government shut down mosques in March for mass prayers as part of efforts to stop the spread of the virus.And rituals are no longer allowed where people visit the family of the deceased to offer their condolences and where verses from the Koran are recited.”A virus which could only be seen through a microscope has changed the world order, everything; customs, traditions and funeral ceremonies. It has changed even death,” said Koc.Turkey has recorded more than 4,200 coronavirus deaths and 153,000 confirmed cases but the daily death tolls have recently fallen below 100.center_img Gathered around the grave, Ucukcu and his close family — all wearing protective masks and standing a few paces from each other — say prayers after the coffin is buried.Before the pandemic a shroud would suffice.Only an hour earlier, the group were at a nearby morgue where the body was washed by personnel in hazmat suits before being wrapped in cloth and placed in a coffin.A small collective prayer was then held outside the morgue with those attending respecting social distancing rules. The imam — also in a hazmat suit — led the funeral prayers for the deceased before the coffin was taken by hearse to the Beykoz cemetery. ‘Damn disease’At the Beykoz cemetery, three women — a mother and her two daughters — wearing headscarves were sitting on the ground next to a headstone, reading the Koran, with tears in their eyes.  “Mosques are closed because of the pandemic. We cannot bury our deceased in the way we wanted,” said Filiz, who lost her 76-year-old father last week.He died from an infectious disease but was buried at Beykoz because he received treatment at a pandemic hospital although he tested negative for COVID-19.”Only six people could join the funeral prayer: his grandchildren, daughters and son-in-laws. We buried my dad altogether,” she said, adding the ceremony was at least “conducted in a proper fashion”.Relatives of the diseased respect the new rules “with no objections”, said Koc.Ahmet welcomed the new restrictive measures to protect people’s health.”If there was a crowd, it would be more dangerous,” he said.Cengiz Aktas was the only one to join the funeral prayer for his grandmother Faize Kilic, who died from coronavirus at the age of 85. “I have nobody who could join the rites here but me. My mother aged over 65 is not allowed to go out,” he said.”This is such a damn disease that you cannot have a proper funeral prayer at a mosque,” he lamented.last_img read more

Read More

Brunt happy to work with Pulis

first_imgWest Brom captain Chris Brunt believes there is “no better guy” than Tony Pulis to help the team make the small changes needed to guide them towards Barclays Premier League safety. Former Stoke and Crystal Palace boss Pulis was at Upton Park on New Year’s Day to watch the team battle to a 1-1 draw, having earlier been confirmed as Alan Irvine’s replacement. Pulis addressed the players at the team hotel before the game, as well as in the dressing room and also relayed messages down to caretaker boss Rob Kelly from the director’s box, with assistant David Kemp heading into the dugout for the second half. Brunt is confident the Baggies – who recovered from going a goal down to equalise through Saido Berahino and then looked solid as well as offering an attacking threat on the break – can show Pulis they have the qualities needed to kick on in 2015. “I am sure the new manager will have seen a lot of stuff he was pleased with, but also some stuff he would want to tighten up on,” Brunt said. “He nipped in a couple of times, said his bits and pieces and told us what he expected us to do and, moving on, what he expects each person to do for their position. “I know a few lads who have played under him and his success rate speaks for itself and in the position we are in at the moment there is probably no better guy for the job.” Brunt continued: “He spoke to us before at the hotel and told us we weren’t a million miles away and we know that. “He then nipped in (to the dressing room) at half-time and at the end, and he seems very hands-on. “Obviously he is here to do a job and get points on the board, to get us up the league because at the moment we are in a bad position. “While confidence isn’t high, we can take a lot of positives out of a point against a West Ham team that is going well and we more than matched them for the whole game. Press Association “Hopefully that will breed a bit of confidence and hopefully we can get a win in the FA Cup game on Saturday (against Gateshead) and set the ball rolling.” Brunt was as disappointed as anyone that Irvine’s reign did not work out, the Scot having only arrived in the summer. “Alan is a great coach and a good man, but results speak for themselves and it is a results business,” the midfielder said. “Nowadays with the media in football everything lands on the manager’s shoulders and it was unfortunate because we go out on a Saturday and we weren’t getting the results for him. “It is disappointing, but you have to move on very quickly. “I am sure we will get things together on the training ground over the next couple of weeks and that Tony Pulis will come in and do a good job, as he had at all of his previous clubs, and we will start climbing the table.” last_img read more

Read More