Tag: 上海夜网DC

Biden on Trump, Covid-19: ‘More People May Die Because of Transition Delay’

first_imgHours before Mr. Biden’s remarks, Mr. Trump’s national security adviser, Robert C. O’Brien, went further than any other senior Trump official in a public forum when he said that Mr. Biden appeared to have won the election and pledged a smooth transition from his staff.“Look, if the Biden-Harris ticket is determined to be the winner — and obviously things look that way now — we’ll have a very professional transition from the National Security Council,” Mr. O’Brien said.Perhaps wary of the ire of a president who refuses to concede the obvious, however, even Mr. O’Brien spoke conditionally, falsely suggesting that the election’s outcome remains uncertain.- Advertisement – “If there is a new administration, they deserve some time to come in and implement their policies,” Mr. O’Brien said during a talk recorded last week and streamed on Monday as part of a conference hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies.“And if we are in a situation where we are not going into a Trump second term, which I think people where I’m sitting in the White House would like to see, if it’s another outcome, it will be a professional transition — there’s no question about it,” he added.Jim Tankersley and Alan Rappeport contributed reporting.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img Mr. Biden’s comments came as governors across the country have begun issuing tough new restrictions on businesses, schools, bars and sports venues in an effort to slow the spread of the virus, prompting an increasingly aggressive backlash from Republicans, including some of Mr. Trump’s advisers.In Michigan, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s decision to shut down casinos, movie theaters and indoor dining — and to halt in-person learning at high schools and colleges — for three weeks prompted Republican lawmakers to call for her impeachment. She said the remarks by Dr. Atlas were “irresponsible” and left her breathless.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Read More

PLB Boss praises MTN for GHC 50,000 Confederations cup support

first_imgThe Head of the Premier League Board Abrah Appiah has applauded telecommunications giant MTN for an extra package to support SC Medeama for their campaign in next seasons Confederation Cup.Aside the cash reward of 30,000 Ghana cedis that was handed the winner of the FA Cup, a 50,000 Ghana cedis package prior to the Grand Final was announced by MTN to aid the winner’s participation in the Africa club-competition.“I believe MTN deserves commendation for what they have done because we have seen two teams that have participated in the Confederation cup struggling to raise money for their campaign,” said Abra Appiah”Playing in competitions of this nature as we all are aware needs a lot of money for preparation and travelling.”The financial aspect is the most important thing and for MTN to set aside a huge sum of 50,000 Ghana cedis for the winner to enhance their campaign in Africa is something laudable.”Medeama defeated Asante Kotoko 1-0 at the Accra Sports Stadium in the final to become the new FA Cup champions, their first major trophy in their 3-year history.last_img read more

Read More

Donegal vigils commemorate death of Savita Halappanavar

first_imgTwenty-eight vigils took place throughout the country to mark the fifth anniversary of Savita Halappanavar’s passing, with two taking place in Donegal.The 31-year-old Indian dentist died from cardiac arrest due to a septic miscarriage in University Hospital Galway on the 28th of October, 2012.The Diamond in Carndonagh and Market Square in Letterkenny were illuminated with candles during the vigils on Saturday evening. These vigils were a response to a call for solidarity from Galway Pro-Choice, who have taken the lead over the last five years in commemorating Savita in the city she lived and worked in.Inishowen ARC spokesperson Cathleen Shiels said: “The 5 year anniversary of the death of Savita is a stark reminder of how far we still need to go, and the work we need to do to ensure that women and pregnant people are no longer hurt or damaged by the 8th Amendment.” She continued: “We will never forget Savita and we are working towards a supportive healthcare structure that encompasses all reproductive choices including abortion.“The people of Ireland value women and we cannot stand by while more women are hurt, exiled or shamed because of our abortion laws. We strive for free, safe and legal abortion for everyone who wants or needs one so that no more lives are put at risk by our laws.”Donegal ARC spokesperson Kathryn said: “A sincere thank you to all those who attended the vigils in Donegal to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the tragic and preventable death of Savita Halappanavar.“It was an incredibly moving event in which we remembered Savita and also many others for whom the inhumane restraints imposed by the 8th Amendment have caused suffering, distress death and grief”.She continued: “We are also grateful for the compassion, understanding and support that members of the public expressed to those participating in the vigils.”Donegal vigils commemorate death of Savita Halappanavar was last modified: October 29th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:abortion rights campaigndonegalSavita Halappanavarlast_img read more

Read More