Day: December 30, 2019

TRANSFER EXCLUSIVE! Bristol City agree stunning £8m deal for Brentford striker Andre Gray

first_img1 Andre Gray Bristol City have agreed a fee with Brentford for striker Andre Gray.The newly-promoted Robins are searching for a proven goalscorer to aid their ambitious bid to become Championship promotion contenders.Steve Cotterill had made Dwight Gayle his top target but the Crystal Palace hitman rejected the chance to move to Ashton Gate.Now Cotterill has turned his attention to Brentford’s Gray and is hopeful of concluding a deal.Gray fired 18 goals last season for the Bees following a £500,000 switch from Luton Town and has been the subject of interest from Hull.West Ham have also been linked with the 24-year-old in recent days as Slaven Bilic looks to boost his attacking options.However, it is Bristol City who are now leading the chase after slapping in a bid believed to be around £8million.Gray still has two years remaining on his contract at Griffin Park and Brentford had been ready to offer the former Shrewsbury Town man a new deal.But City’s offer has proved too tempting to turn down and Brentford have cleared Gray for talks with their Championship rivals.last_img read more

Read More

Chelsea defender extends loan spell at Peterborough

first_imgChelsea have loaned out defender Alex Davey for a further four months.The 20-year-old moved to Peterborough on a temporary deal at the start of August and has impressed for the League One side.That led to Posh asking the Blues to extend the loan and the Premier League champions have agreed to their request.Chelsea are looking defensively frail this season and with the proposed transfer of John Stones from Everton looking doomed they are in the market for a defender.Davey is rated highly by the coaching staff at Stamford Bridge, but Jose Mourinho does not believe he is yet ready to make the step up to his first team. 1 Alex Davey last_img read more

Read More

Sepp Blatter to remain president of FIFA: ‘I’ve done nothing illegal or improper’

first_img1 FIFA president Spell Blatter has stated he will remain in the role as the head of global football despite criminal proceedings being opened against him by Swiss prosecutors.It was claimed the 79-year-old chief could step down with immediate effort in the fallout to further investigations into the corruption scandal which engulfed the governing body earlier this year.It was revealed on Friday that the Swiss attorney general have opened criminal proceedings against Blatter, who is suspected of criminal mismanagement or misappropriation over a TV rights deal he signed with former Caribbean football chief Jack Warner in 2005.However, in a statement from his lawyer, Blatter says he will not step down because he “has done nothing wrong or improper”.Blatter also insisted the alleged ‘disloyal playment’ of £1.3million to UEFA president Michel Platini in 2011, purportedly for work done more than nine years previously, was legitimate.It was reported at the weekend that Platini, Blatter’s nearest rival in a leadership election, had received the payment ‘weeks’ before the Frenchman pulled out of the contest.Both Blatter and Platini are being investigated by FIFA’s ethics committee following the opening of the proceedings against the FIFA president.A statement from Blatter’s lawyer said: “President Blatter spoke to FIFA staff today and informed the staff that he was cooperating with the authorities, reiterated that he had done nothing illegal or improper and stated that he would remain as president of FIFA.”The statement added: “On the Platini matter, President Blatter on Friday shared with the Swiss authorities the fact that Mr Platini had a valuable employment relationship with FIFA serving as an advisor to the president beginning in 1998. He explained to the prosecutors that the payments were valid compensation and nothing more and were properly accounted for within FIFA including the withholding of Social Security contributions.“Because of the continuing investigation President Blatter will answer no further questions at this time.” FIFA president Sepp Blatter last_img read more

Read More

Ex-Liverpool manager releases statement: ‘I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season’

first_img Brendan Rodgers 1 Departing Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed his ‘incredible disappointment’ after he was relieved of his duties on Sunday following a 1-1 draw in the Merseyside derby.The Northern Irishman was fired by the club’s board after a run of just one win in nine games in all competitions, coupled with their wholly underwhelming end to last season which culminated in a 6-1 defeat to Stoke City.Rodgers spent three and a half years in the Anfield hotseat and took the Reds to within touching distance of their first Premier League title in 2013/2014, but ultimately failed to recover those levels in the time since.The 42-year-old duly released a statement following his dismissal on Monday, thanking the club’s owners for the opportunity.Rodgers’ statement in full:“I am of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool Football Club. It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years.“I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club’s magnificent fans can be proud of. There have been some very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment.The current squad is one in transition, but they have some real talent and are showing a strong sense of togetherness. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season.“Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional.As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool Directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the Academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication which has made my time at the club so special.  “Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and even though we will no longer be working together I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future.”last_img read more

Read More

Jack Butland and Joe Hart couldn’t believe it when this happened…

first_imgA freak accident in an England training session, saw goalkeeper coach Dave Watson impale a football on a spike.Jack Butland was in goal, as Joe Hart watched when the ball was put out of comission.And none of them could believe their eyes.The players were training ahead of their Euro 2016 qualifier against Estonia at Wembley on Friday.last_img

Read More

Colin Murray and Friends – Monday, November 23

first_imgListen to the highlights of Monday’s show, as Colin was joined in the studio by Micky Gray and Steve Bunce.The podcast includes the boys’ “Heroes and Villains of the Weekend”, and a tribute to Blackpool legend Stan Mortensen’s goalscoring feats in light of Leicester striker Jamie Vardy equalling the Premier League’s goalscoring record.last_img

Read More

Norwich revive interest in Juventus striker but will face competition in January chase

first_img Juventus striker Simone Zaza 1 Norwich City will face competition from Udinese to sign wantaway Juventus striker Simone Zaza.The Italian has struggled to make an impression with Juve since joining them from Sassuolo last summer, making just nine appearances so far this term.Norwich tried to sign the 24-year-old before he joined Juve and Alex Neil has kept a close watch on his situation at the Old Lady.However, according to Calcio Mercato, Udinese are also planning a swoop for Zaza and are prepared to take him on loan with an option to buy him at the end of the season.Norwich are currently not considering any loan deal, which may harm their chances with Juve keen to see how the striker fares at another Serie A club.last_img read more

Read More

‘Chelsea players should be embarrassed’ ex-pros & celebs react to sacking

first_img1 Jose Mourinho’s second spell at Chelsea Football Club has come to an end, with the defeat to Leicester City on Monday night sealing his fate in south west London.Only at the start of the season did the Portuguese manager put pen to paper on a four-year contract extension, worth £37.5m, but with the Blues sitting just one point off the relegation zone, Roman Abramovich could no longer ignore the results.While the news of his dismissal has arrived with an air of inevitability, it has still been met with widespread shock, and a number of current and ex-pros, along with well-known personalities, have voiced their opinion on the decision.TIMELINE: HERE’S WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG FOR MOURINHOHave a read below… Jose Mourinho sacked by Chelsea last_img read more

Read More

Driver pleads not guilty in pedestrian fatality case

first_img• Photo Gallery: Gross vehicular manslaughterWHITTIER – A Pico Rivera woman pleaded not guilty Thursday to killing a 15-year-old pedestrian while driving drunk. Melissa Serrato, 27, will return to Whittier Superior Court on Nov. 26 for a preliminary hearing. Prosecutors charged her with one felony count of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated. If convicted, she faces 4 to 10 years in state prison. Granado, who was a linebacker for California High School, died of his injuries at UC Irvine Medical Center. After the Thursday arraignment, members of the Granado family stood outside the courthouse and prayed. They declined comment. Serrato, who later walked out with a group of supporters, didn’t say anything when asked for a comment. “Not at this time,” said one of the women who accompanied Serrato. She didn’t identify herself. Serrato’s lawyer, Stephan DeSales, said his client is a single mother who works a couple of jobs and is a full-time student. “The young lady I represent is a very nice person,” DeSales said. He said they’re still investigating the facts of the case. “We’re still getting information,” he added. Granado was the second member of his family to be killed in a traffic incident this year. His father’s cousin, Ralph Granado of Covina, was killed by a hit-and-run driver July 20 on the westbound San Bernardino (10) Freeway, west of Sunset Avenue in West Covina. Ralph Granado, 55, was on his motorcycle when he was rear-ended by a Toyota Yaris and knocked off his bike. As he tried to get up, he was run over by another vehicle that fled the scene. He died on the freeway. No arrests have been made in the case. ruby.gonzales@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CitySerrato remains free on $100,000 bail. The charge stems from a July 25 crash on Lambert Road, west of Mills Avenue in the county area of Whittier. According to the California Highway Patrol, Serrato was behind the wheel of a 2007 Toyota Matrix that struck Martin Granado of Whittier as she was walking north across Lambert Road, outside a crosswalk. The Matrix was heading west on Lambert at about 40 mph, CHP officers said. Serrato was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving under the influence causing great bodily injury or death. last_img read more

Read More

‘Rosa Parks Human Rights Day’ to be considered

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsHutchinson said such a resolution would make Los Angeles the nation’s first city to declare a Rosa Parks Human Rights Day. The proposal has been endorsed by civil rights leader the Rev. Al Sharpton. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Black civil rights activists will call on the City Council today to declare Saturday “Rosa Parks Human Rights Day” to mark the 52nd anniversary of Parks’ refusal to move from her seat on a bus in Montgomery, Ala. Earl Ofari Hutchinson, president of the Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable, said Parks’ act was a turning point in the civil rights movement, and commemorating it would send a message that efforts must continue to fight bigotry and intolerance. “Today the forces of intolerance are alive and well in America and Los Angeles,” Hutchinson said. Hutchinson cited “the spate of hanging nooses, the rise in hate crimes nationally, black and Latino gang hate violence in L.A.” as the basis for his call. last_img read more

Read More