Author: admin

Davies calls on US architect to beef up bid in dock fight

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More

A debt driven investment market

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More

Power of the people

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More

Space to work, rest and play

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More

PREMIUMJokowi gearing up to meet Trump in US next month

first_imgForgot Password ? LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Facebook The government has plans for President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to make an official visit to the United States next month, the first time since Donald Trump came to power as president in Washington, DC, for a meeting that analysts believe could help the business interests of both countries.Officials have remained tight-lipped on specific details regarding the visit, apart from a hint that Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan dropped during his visit to Washington last week.Luhut said Jokowi would visit the US in March to sign a landmark deal for Americans to invest in Indonesia’s sovereign fund, which experts believed would trigger an influx of money from the US private sector into numerous projects across the archipelago.Presidential spokesperson Fadjroel Rachman confirmed the plan earlier this week, although he refused to give… Log in with your social account Google Linkedin Topics : Jokowi trump US state-visitlast_img read more

Read More

Govt sets up checkpoints to monitor people’s mobility between cities, provinces amid ‘mudik’ ban

first_imgRegions across Java have set up checkpoints to monitor the flow of vehicles between cities and provinces, following the government’s ban on Idul Fitri mudik (exodus), which started on Friday.The Transportation Ministry has prepared a number of checkpoints in areas surrounding Jakarta, including Tangerang in Banten, as well as Bekasi, Bogor, Sukabumi and Cikampek in West Java, to prevent people from leaving or entering the capital for the annual tradition.“We are gradually preparing [the checkpoints] on toll roads, national roads, provincial roads, even down to the so-called jalan tikus [alleyways] in districts,” the ministry’s land transportation director general, Budi Setiyadi, said in a press conference on Thursday. Read also: Indonesia suspends all passenger travel across cities to prevent Ramadan exodusThe checkpoints for land routes will be activated from Friday to May 31, in accordance with Transportation Ministerial Regulation No. 25/2020 regarding transportation use control during this year’s mudik period to prevent wider contagion of COVID-19 in the country.Under the regulation, the ministry has set restrictions on all passenger vehicles entering and leaving regions that have imposed large-scale social restrictions (PSBB), including Greater Jakarta and Greater Bandung in West Java.The roads, however, remain open, to accommodate vehicles carrying logistics and essential needs.Millions of Indonesians return to their hometowns every year – often traveling from urban centers to the countryside – to celebrate Idul Fitri, including those from capital Jakarta, a city where many people have migrated to from around the country in search of work.With Jakarta being the country’s epicenter of the outbreak, public health experts have warned that mudik could cause the contagious respiratory illness to spread rapidly across Java.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo subsequently announced a ban on the Idul Fitri mudik on Tuesday after reviewing a Transportation Ministry survey that said 24 percent of the country’s 270 million people still planned to travel to their hometowns and that 7 percent had already left.The ministry held a meeting on Thursday with regional heads from Java, Bali and Lampung in Semarang, Central Java, to discuss preparations for monitoring the potential mudik flow.Read also: Recovered COVID-19 patient in Central Java urges people not to ‘mudik’Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo said the province had prepared 83 inter-regency monitoring checkpoints and inter-provincial monitoring checkpoints spread across the region.“For inter-provincial supervision, there are seven checkpoints, namely at Tegal terminal, Pejagan toll gate, Losari Brebes goods terminal, Wanareja terminal, Pungkruk toll gate, Klonengan Slawi Tegal rest stop and Dukuh Salam terminal,” Ganjar said after the meeting.The provincial administration will also add three checkpoints in its easternmost regencies as Surabaya and its neighboring regencies, Sidoarjo and Gresik, in East Java would start imposing partial lockdowns on Tuesday.Ganjar said he was reviewing plans to ensure the social security of people from the region who lived outside the province, especially those in Greater Jakarta, as they could not return to their hometowns due to the mudik ban.“If [the government] cannot guarantee [their social security], please let us know. We will set up public kitchens in Jakarta to help them,” he said.Read also: ‘I need to protect my family’: Jakartans nix homecoming trips following COVID-19 ‘mudik’ banGanjar said he had asked the Transportation Ministry to be flexible with the monitoring at checkpoints. “If there is a violation, just tell them to go back and if they disobey, they are to be quarantined,” he said.Acting transportation minister Luhut Pandjaitan, who is also the coordinating maritime affairs and investment minister, said regional governments were allowed to improvise and determine how strict they wanted to implement the monitoring, as long as the policy did not contradict the prevailing regulation.“The [transportation] ministerial regulation was formulated to accommodate but regional leaders are allowed to make adjustments. I have asked the land transportation director general to communicate with Central Java. We want to save lives,” Luhut said. (syk) In Tangerang, the ministry has readied a checkpoint at the Bitung toll gate to monitor vehicles heading from Jakarta to Merak, Banten, and vice versa. In Bekasi, a checkpoint has been established in areas bordering Karawang.The ministry has also prepared a checkpoint at Puncak Pass, a tourist destination bordering Bogor regency and Cianjur in West Java. In Sukabumi, meanwhile, a checkpoint has been set up in Cigombong, the border of Bogor regency and Sukabumi.A checkpoint has been set up at the 31-kilometer point on the Jakarta-Cikampek toll road on the border of Bekasi and Karawang, where authorities stood by to conduct inspections on vehicles passing the area.Private vehicles leaving Jakarta for West Java will be asked to make U-turn and return to the capital from West Cikarang.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More

Trump says US to have coronavirus vaccine by end of year

first_imgThe vaccine prediction moves up the timeline that has been discussed as the United States and other countries race to be the first to bring out a way to prevent COVID-19.Trump insisted he would be happy for another country to beat US researchers to the medicine, saying “if it’s another country I’ll take my hat off.””I don’t care, I just want to get a vaccine that works.”Asked about risks during human trials in a research process that is going unusually quickly, Trump said “they’re volunteers. They know what they’re getting into.” President Donald Trump on Sunday said the United States will have a coronavirus vaccine by the end of this year.”We are very confident that we’re going to have a vaccine at the end of the year, by the end of the year,” Trump said in a Fox News “town hall” show broadcast from the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.He also said he would urge the reopening of schools and universities in September, saying “I want them to go back.” Trump appeared to acknowledge that he was getting ahead of his own advisors on the prediction for the vaccine.”The doctors would say ‘well, you shouldn’t say that.’ I’ll say what I think,” he said.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More

‘I’m back’ declares Mike Tyson in training video

first_imgThe newest video showed Tyson growling through a workout hitting the pads in yet another display of the ferocious power that made him one of the sport’s most feared punchers.Would you fight 53-year-old Mike Tyson for $10k?pic.twitter.com/YRJVIw8jUS— Jose Rosado 🔥🔥🔥 (@joserosado) May 11, 2020Since Tyson hinted at a return, challengers have been lining up for a shot at the boxer known as “Iron Mike”.New Zealand rugby great Sonny Bill Williams, who dabbled in boxing posting a 7-0-0 record, and Australian Paul Gallen, another rugby player with a 9-0-1 record in the ring, have been touted as potential opponents.A more likely bet, however, would be Evander Holyfield with whom Tyson engaged in several epic bouts during their professional careers.If Tyson, who retired after a loss to Kevin McBride in 2005, does return to the ring, he will be following in the footsteps of Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao in coming out of retirement for an exhibition fight.Tyson, who became the youngest heavyweight champion of all time when he defeated Trevor Berbick in 1986 aged 20, won 50 of his 58 professional fights before retiring.Topics : Former-world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson continued to tease boxing fans about a possible return to the ring by posting another training video on Instagram on Monday that ended with the message, “I’m back”.The 53-year-old caught the attention of the boxing world last week when he posted a short video of a workout that showed he possesses plenty of the punching power and speed that allowed him to become the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles.Tyson said then that he was considering a return to the ring for some exhibition bouts to raise money for charity.last_img read more

Read More

‘It has even changed death’: Virus disrupts burials in Turkey

first_imgIn normal times, almost 200 people would have attended the funeral for Ahmet Ucukcu’s 95-year-old father at an Istanbul cemetery. The coronavirus which took his life has changed all that.”Many of my relatives wouldn’t come except for close family members and his sons who were authorized to attend only,” Ucukcu told AFP.  Topics : “We are just six or seven people.”The scaled-down ceremony took place at a cemetery in the city’s Beykoz district on the Asian side, which was built in March when Turkey confirmed its first virus case.It already houses the remains of over 700 people who died of contagious diseases including COVID-19.Ucukcu lost his father Ali to the virus after the old man was treated for 10 days. He also suffered from chronic illnesses. ‘Speedy burial’Ayhan Koc, head of  Istanbul’s cemeteries department, said a fast burial without traditional Islamic rituals was an efficient and correct method given the current situation.He said in the past there would have been a funeral prayer after the midday and afternoon prayers but now the aim was to ensure a speedy burial, without even taking the body to the mosque.The government shut down mosques in March for mass prayers as part of efforts to stop the spread of the virus.And rituals are no longer allowed where people visit the family of the deceased to offer their condolences and where verses from the Koran are recited.”A virus which could only be seen through a microscope has changed the world order, everything; customs, traditions and funeral ceremonies. It has changed even death,” said Koc.Turkey has recorded more than 4,200 coronavirus deaths and 153,000 confirmed cases but the daily death tolls have recently fallen below 100.center_img Gathered around the grave, Ucukcu and his close family — all wearing protective masks and standing a few paces from each other — say prayers after the coffin is buried.Before the pandemic a shroud would suffice.Only an hour earlier, the group were at a nearby morgue where the body was washed by personnel in hazmat suits before being wrapped in cloth and placed in a coffin.A small collective prayer was then held outside the morgue with those attending respecting social distancing rules. The imam — also in a hazmat suit — led the funeral prayers for the deceased before the coffin was taken by hearse to the Beykoz cemetery. ‘Damn disease’At the Beykoz cemetery, three women — a mother and her two daughters — wearing headscarves were sitting on the ground next to a headstone, reading the Koran, with tears in their eyes.  “Mosques are closed because of the pandemic. We cannot bury our deceased in the way we wanted,” said Filiz, who lost her 76-year-old father last week.He died from an infectious disease but was buried at Beykoz because he received treatment at a pandemic hospital although he tested negative for COVID-19.”Only six people could join the funeral prayer: his grandchildren, daughters and son-in-laws. We buried my dad altogether,” she said, adding the ceremony was at least “conducted in a proper fashion”.Relatives of the diseased respect the new rules “with no objections”, said Koc.Ahmet welcomed the new restrictive measures to protect people’s health.”If there was a crowd, it would be more dangerous,” he said.Cengiz Aktas was the only one to join the funeral prayer for his grandmother Faize Kilic, who died from coronavirus at the age of 85. “I have nobody who could join the rites here but me. My mother aged over 65 is not allowed to go out,” he said.”This is such a damn disease that you cannot have a proper funeral prayer at a mosque,” he lamented.last_img read more

Read More

Pertamina to pay $601m in dividends to government

first_imgState-owned oil and gas giant Pertamina will pay US$601.3 million in dividends to the government, 7 percent more than last year, as the state looks to fund its COVID-19 expenditures.The dividends amounted to 24 percent of Pertamina’s net profit of $2.53 billion last year, the company announced in a statement on Thursday after an annual shareholders’ meeting.“We are fortunate that Pertamina made several achievements and maintained a stable net profit,” said Pertamina spokeswoman Fajriyah Usman on Thursday. The company attributed the lack of profit growth to low crude oil prices and a weak rupiah exchange rate against the United States dollar last year compared to the previous year. Indonesia Crude Prices (ICP) fell 7.5 percent year-on-year (yoy) to $62.37 per barrel in 2019, Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) Ministry data shows.The rupiah exchange rate, meanwhile, strengthened by 3.58 percent on a point-to-point basis in 2019 or by 0.76 percent on average, according to Bank Indonesia (BI) data.The government has been struggling to fund its state budget as it swells to Rp 695.2 trillion to accommodate COVID-19-related spending. Tax collection has dropped amid weakening business activity, and the government is now projecting that the 2020 state budget deficit will widen to 6.34 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), up from the 5 percent stated in the revised budget.Topics :last_img read more

Read More